The lunch room is not doing so hot

For many I can speak how terrible the school lunch can be. For me, lunch is a place where I can enjoy eating food and relax before my next class starts. With school currently being focused on restructuring, Niles North is not facing the main problem, the school lunch. Smaller food portions, poor food quality, and distribution of food not equally spread out, are just many of the problems that set the stage for changes in the cafeteria.

It is frustrating having to eat smaller portions because students want a lunch that will actually give them energy throughout the day. No one wants a box with four fries. Having the right amount of food is essential to students because eating healthy provided students to perform well in school and feel more satisfied towards their stomach.

“The spaghetti has gotten worse. It used to be filled to the top of the box, now there’s barely anything inside,” said senior Davin Kaiser.

Not only has the food portion gotten smaller, but it has also diminished in quality. Some of the fries are either not cooked correctly and/or have been made early, making it cold.

“Sometimes I wish the school lunch got better so I could eat it sometimes, I bring my own lunch to school everyday but it would be nice to go to the lunchroom just in case if I forget to pack a lunch,” said English teacher Mr. Mormolstein.

The spacing between all the lunches are not equal at all. Period three and seven are completely empty without students, but periods four, five, and six are completely packed. Because the middle periods are so packed, period seven lunch is mostly out of food leaving many students hungry.

“When I have to go to lunch I literally have to fight for a seat every day.” said senior Bill Kim.

With school lunch discounting many, they should do more to improve the choices of their students. I know what it feels like having an empty stomach and it’s not a good feeling.

What do you think of the new cafeteria and cafeteria food?